START

JOIN THE

MIDSUMMER SOLO CHALLENGE


Challenge yourself at a 123 NM solo race in the Swedish Archipelago during the magic midsummer light

*** UPDATE 2020-06-13***


VI KÖR!

Vi har nu haft möte med Erik och prognosen från lunch och framåt är stadiga 5-8 m/s med byar på 10-12 m/s. MEN! Det ni måste vara förberedda på är att mellan 22 - 04 kommer byvinden öka till 15 m/s längs med hela banområdet och medelvinden väntas ligga på 8-10 m/s. Se till att reva segel i god tid. Vi räknar dock med att alla deltagare vid den tidpunkten kommit ut ur skärgården vilket gör det enklare och säkrare att hantera byarna. Efter 04 på söndag morgon kommer byvinden att avta, och så även medelvinden.

Starterna är alltså:
12:00 Mini
12:30 Small
13:00 Medium
13:30 Large

Segla säkert med goda marginaler och tänk på att ta ut svängen rejält när fyren i Lysekil ska rundas. Ses på vattnet!

LET'S GO!

We have now met with Erik and the forecast from lunch onwards is steady 5-8 m/s *(10-14 knots) with gusts of 10-12 m/s (20-22 knots). BUT! What you need to be prepared for is that between 22 - 04 the gusts will increase to 15 m/s (30 knots) along the entire course area and the average wind is expected to be 8-10 m/s (16-20 knots). Be sure to reduce sails well in advance. However, we expect all participants to be out of the archipelago at that time, which makes it easier and safer to manage the gusts. After 04 on Sunday morning, the gusts will subside, and so will the average wind.

The starts are the following times:
12:00 Mini
12:30 Small
13:00 Medium
13:30 Large

Sail safely with good margins and be sure to take the turn out well when the lighthouse in Lysekil is to be rounded. See you on the water!


*** UPDATE 2020-06-12***

(english translation below)


Hej alla seglare


Nu kommer det ännu en uppdatering av läget för vi har haft möte med Erik... Man kan se en tydlig nedgång på vinden, men nedgången är något långsam. Precis som idag ser vi att medelvinden imorgon inte kommer vara så hög, men vi har en kraftig byvind och det är denna kraftiga byvind som oroar oss något. Precis som Erik antydde igår under vår diskussion, så kommer den kraftiga byvinden trycka upp medelvinden och det är resultat av detta vi ser här ute på Marstrand. Vinden har stundtals legat på 13-17 m/s.


Prognosen för morgondagen pekar på en medelvind på 7m/s, men byarna ligger på 15m/s i prognoserna som Erik tittar på. Någon av prognoserna pekar på lättare väder, men om han tar den prognos som har träffat mest rätt idag, så har den starka byar.


Eftersom vi ser att racet kommer bli snabbt när vi väl vågar släppa förtöjningarna så har vi bestämt följande...


Vi skjuter första start till kl 12, så alltså 2 timmar senare än utsatt tid. Detta för att vi ser på prognosen att det blåser som mest precis vid 10-tiden.


Det släpps en ny prognos/datamodell kl 07.00 i morgon och vi har ett nytt möte med Erik kl 07.45. Kl 08.00 på lördag morgon fattar vi det slutliga beslutet på om vi kommer kunna köra eller inte.


Återigen så uppskattar vi er förståelse över att det är er säkerhet vi tänker på.


// Marcus Blomberg, Ordförande, Marstrands SS



Hi all sailors

Here comes another update on the situation because we have had a meeting with our meteorologist Erik... He can see a clear decline in the wind, but the decline is somewhat slow. Just like today we see that the average wind tomorrow will not be so high, but we have a strong gust wind and it is this strong gust wind that worries us a bit. Just as Erik suggested yesterday during our discussion, the strong gust wind will push up the average wind and that is the result of this we see here on Marstrand. The wind has at times been 13-17 m/s (26 - 35 knots) today.

The forecast for tomorrow points to an average wind of 7 m/s (14 knots), but the gusts are at 15 m/s (30 knots) in the forecasts that Erik looks at. Some of the forecasts point to lighter weather, but if he takes the forecast that was most correct today, then it will be strong gusts.

Since we see that the race will be fast when we dare to release the moorings, we have decided the following...

We postpone the first start to 12:00 CET, so 2 hours later than the scheduled time. This is because according to the forecasts the strongest wind and gusts will be at 10:00 CET.

A new forecast / data model is released at 07:00 tomorrow and we have a new meeting with Erik at 07.45. At 08.00 on Saturday morning we make the final decision on whether we will be able to start or not.

Again, we appreciate your understanding that it is your safety that we are thinking about.

// Marcus Blomberg, Commodore, Marstrands SS



*** UPDATE 2020-06-11***


(english translation below)


Hej alla soloseglare


Nu har vi återigen fått en väderprognos från vår meteorolog, Erik. Tyvärr har prognosen gått åt det sämre hållet. Det är hela tiden den där fronten som ligger runt Smögen som gäckar oss.


Så här säger Erik, vi kommer inte undan den fronten som ligger där. Alla seglare kommer behöva passera detta väder. I den fronten har vi garanterat en medelvind på minst 10m/s och byvindar på 22m/s, där i detta väder kommer det också ligga regn vilket tar med sig de hårda vindarna ner till marknivå så medelvinden kommer inte vara under 10m/s utan betydligt över detta i regnet. Han har svårt att säga exakt hur mycket av vinden som dras ner. Det som ytterligare försvårar vädret är att vriden som kommer i byarna kommer vara med 40-45 graders vrid, så det kommer bli en ordentligt stökig natt. Detta väder kommer hålla på fram till 02.00 på natten så risken finns att man måste passera vädret två gånger. Både ovanför och nedanför denna front är det lugnare, men byvindarna är ändå uppe på 17m/s, medelvinden ligger på 7-10m/s beroende på om man är ovanför eller nedanför väderområdet.


Att med detta som utgångspunkt skicka iväg 73 ensamseglare ser vi som oansvarigt. Hade det varit normala förhållanden, utan pandemi så hade vi sagt att vi överlåtit till varje seglare att fatta detta beslut själva, men så kan vi inte gör i år.


Men... nu ställer vi inte bara in för nu har vi kämpat i en månad för att få till seglingen trots viruset, så nu omgrupperar vi och tänker flytta allt 24 timmar framåt med en start på lördag istället. Vi förstår att detta naturligtvis inte är roligt, men vi hoppas att alla förstår vårt beslut och kan köra trots ett dygns försening. Vi kommer följa vädret under kvällen och morgondagen, men enligt Erik, så ser det betydligt bättre ut om vi bara gör denna lilla förflyttning.


Ett helt slutligt beslut kommer vi att fatta på fredag kl 19.


Vi beklagar, men hoppas på förståelse från er seglare. Det är er säkerhet vi tänker på!


// Marcus Blomberg, Ordförande, Marstrands SS



Hi all solo sailors


We have once again received a weather forecast from our meteorologist, Erik. Unfortunately, the forecast has gone worse. It's always that front that lies around Smögen that makes it tricky.


This is what Erik says, we will not escape the front that lies there. All sailors will have to pass this weather. In this front we have guaranteed an average wind of at least 10m/s (20 knots) and gusts of 22m/s (44 knots), in this weather there will also be rain which brings the hard winds down to ground level so the average winds will not be below 10m/s but considerably over this in the rain. He has a hard time saying exactly how much of the wind is being pulled down. What further complicates the weather is that the wind shifts that comes in the gusts will be with 40-45 degrees, so it will be a really messy night. This weather will last until 02:00 at night so there is a risk that you have to pass the weather twice. Both above and below this front it is calmer, but the gust winds are still at 17m/s, the average winds are at 7-10m/s depending on whether you are above or below the weather area.

We consider it irresponsible to start 73 solo sailors on this basis. Had it been normal conditions, without a pandemic, we would have said that it was up to every sailor to make this decision themselves, but we can't do like that this year.

But ... we have been struggling for a month to make the sailing happen despite the virus, so now we regroup and plan to move everything 24 hours forward with a start on Saturday instead. We understand that this is not fun, of course, but we hope everyone understands our decision and can run despite a 24-hour delay. We will follow the weather in the evening and tomorrow, but according to Erik, it looks much better if we just make this little move.

We will make a final decision on Friday at 19.

We apologize, but hope for your understanding. It's your safety we think of!


//Marcus Blomberg, Commodore, Marstrand SS



***UPDATE 2020-06-08***

The homepage has now been updated with all the latest info. It is mandatory for all participants to read the rules and the course. Those two pages is this years "skippers meeting" and you must read them before starting. If you have any questions then send an email to m.blomberg@mcub.se or send an SMS to 0708-138445. We will email a weather forecast to all participants on Thursday evening, latest 19:00 CET. If there is any major change we will contact all participants through mail and/or SMS.

Due to the Covid-19 situation there will be no in-person socializing this year, instead we will have to socialize on our Facebook group. Being active there, putting up pictures etc, is strongly encouraged :-)


***CORONA UPDATE 2020-05-13***

Covid-19 is still causing problems for the world, but we at Marstrand Sailing Association plan to run the Midsummer Solo Challenge. Due to the circumstances we will run it with the recommendation from the Swedish Sailing Association and Swedish Public health authority.

 

Since there is a travel restriction within Sweden, only boats from the sailing clubs on the Swedish westcoast are allowed to participate.


As much as possible, you as a participant shall avoid spreading the virus. Don't moore in Marstrand harbour before the start unless you have to, if it makes sense for you then please sail directly from your own club to the start. Once you have crossed the finish line then moore in Marstrand if you feel exhausted, but if you feel fresh then please sail directly to your home club if you can do so in a safe manner. Let's stay social with each other online instead, on the Midsummer Solo Challenge Facebook page.


We will not have any social activities before or after the race.

All communication will be held in a digital form.

To avoid putting any extra strain on the Swedish rescue system we will not start the race if we see that medium wind will exceed 10m/s from the start and 36 hours after that.

 

All sailors that can’t participate will have the starting fee refunded. Please e-mail us at kontakta@marstrandsss.se and we will see to that your payment will be returned.

For all you others that will participate, if you want we will also refund 250SEK for the dinner and social activities, but we would be happy if you could spare this money and let us at MSS use it for our kids activities and sailing school that we still plan to run in these critical times.

 

As you can understand this is a hard decision for us to make, but this virus is out of our control and we have to follow the regulations that are put on us. We hope that we will see you all at the Midsummer Solo Challenge in 2021!

 

Looking forward to see you “west coast boats” on the water a month from now!

 

Marcus Blomberg

Commodore MSS



FOLLOW THE EVENT ON OUR FACEBOOK GROUP


This is the third edition of the Midsummer Solo Challenge. It’s something out of the ordinary for those who want to sail 120+ nm solo in one of the worlds most beautiful (and challenging) archipelagoes.


This at a time of year when the nights are warm and the sun barely sets (the photo above is from just before midnight).


IT'S SIMPLE

Come with any boat you want. No ratings. No difficult rules. You just have to know how long it is. And have some basic safety equipment.


Register here.


Show up on the starting line.


Enjoy the challenge.


Finish before 12.00 Sunday. Get your finisher polo and a beer. Share stories with your fellow skippers on our Facebook page.


PROGRAM 2020

June 12th, Friday, starts during the day (small boats first)

June 13th, Saturday, finishes during the day

June 14th, Sunday, finishes during the morning


COURSE

The course is around 123 nm. Just four marks, all port roundings.  Couldn't be easier.